Friday, September 3, 2010

September 2, 2010

Oh boy... it's a late one tonight! A delay to the start, for a good cause, and the temperature a pretty chilly version of September... 58ºF with a 10kt wind... and I'm finishing up past midnight tonight. NO BUGS!!! I live in a fairly small town, lightly populated area, so once the summer temps are gone, along with the summer visitors, and the temps get down to sweater weather the streets empty out long before the Ten O'Clock bell sounds. Because of that I don't head out into the rural areas and park on a deserted road with my book light shining; it's just not smart. You feel pretty much alone and vulnerable to anything or anyone in that situation. So tonight I went into the town of St.Croix Falls, WI on the other side of the river from Taylors Falls to paint off of their observation deck that overlooks the river and the power plant. The power plant went into service in about 1912, following the elimination of the white pine forests and the logging industry, using the river for power seemed like the next best way for the fat cats to make more money off of the abundant natural resource that had drawn man, first Americans and Europeans, to the area for centuries.


SOLD
9/2-1 'Dam Lights'
At one time this dam supplied the majority of the power requirements that St. Paul and Minneaopolis, MN had. I painted it for the April Marathon during the day and it makes an even more interesting subject at night.


9/2-2 'Taylors Falls from St Croix Falls'
Last week it was 90º and higher. Tonight I had on heavy long pants, three shirts, a sweater, a polar fleece and my toes were cold! After painting 'Dam Lights' I decided that all I wanted to do was to get #2 done and go home. So I just turned to my left and painted Taylors Falls as it appears from St Croix Falls. I actually really like this kind of painting, especially after the more controlled way that the first one had to be painted. It has an expressive aspect to it that I like.

19 comments:

Robin Roberts said...

Very good so far. I am interested to see the spread of subject matter in this challenge. And food for thought... a Friday night high school football game from a distance might make a cool nocturne. Just sayin'.

julie davis said...

Totally agree with Robin! (as a Texan--that type of scene is iconic!) These are magical, and the idea is fantastic!

julie davis said...

Just looked at my post and realized how covered it was with exclamation marks. Not usually my style--clearly I like the work!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Robin. Good idea and I've thought of it or something involving other humans too. It gets pretty 'alone' surrounded by complete dark enhanced by the little but bright book light. You sort feel like you're a beacon but you can only be seen, you can's see a thing around you. A large German Shepherd would ease the mind considerably.

Carol Horzempa said...

How very exciting...being from Wisconsin I have been to the exact same spot you painted. I love them both!

Marc R. Hanson said...

!!! Hi Julie !!! I take those as a compliment then! Thank you!!!

Marc R. Hanson said...

And Julie... Nice work at Windrush! I hope it's going well for you there. Not much happening for me yet, but I'm looking forward to the upcoming season to see if it changes.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Carol! This is a beautiful area!

Robin Roberts said...

Maybe you should take Sargent along for protection.

Kami Polzin said...

I love the dam piece especially! Beautiful drawing and composition, not an easy piece, very complex, especially in the dark!

Hampton House Art and Framing said...

Very nice work. And I must say that is a nice dam(n) piece.

Daroo said...

Nice Dam painting!

I wondered about the psychological aspect of this marathon -- I know when its really dark and I'm at a small campfire (or lantern) or in a car on a dark country road with only the interior car lights on -- I get strangely claustrophobic. A little light seems worse somehow than no lights at all.

Looks like you won't have a full moon until the 22nd or so.

Lynn Lancaster said...

Its amazing to see the color that exist even at night. Most people never look up at night to enjoy the show set before them. Nocturnes are not easy, but yours are great.

Jean Spitzer said...

Exciting to see your first paintings in the marathon. They are magical, indeed.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Kami. :-) You're right, especially in the dark!

Marc R. Hanson said...

HHA&F... thanks!

Daroo... thank you. I feel exactly that, claustrophobic in that situation. Even when outside under the wide open skies. I told someone else that a day or two ago.

Lynn... Thank you! I appreciate it mucho.

Jean... Thank you too.

Jesus Estevez said...

Mark you are not alone,we are with you in our thoughts . these nocturnes are coming beautiful, they are great.

Julie Kessler said...

Beautiful work. I just ordered your book and look forward to seeing it. I'd love to join your painting group but I live in NYC--too far away. Do you have any recommendations about which book light to use and how to set up so you can see your palette and painting at night? Do you have any photos of your set up? Thanks!

Julie Kessler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.