Thursday, April 8, 2010

April 2009 Painting Marathon Redux

April 8, 2009

Today is a late one so I’m not going to talk much. The light today was bright and yellow. I think that it shows in all of the sketches. That’s a very interesting thing to see and deal with every day, the color of the light. There are different schools of painting theory and philosophy and they all have their idea about how to represent this fact with paint color. I don’t ascribe to any one of them in particular, I enjoy them all. All I know is that if you are using a very honest ‘eye’ to paint with, it will show in your work.


“Little Lake” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
If it was in my back yard, I’d call it a big lake. Beautiful clear soft yellow light this morning. Windy though. I’m ready for that to stop.


“Remnants” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I love this old barn and farmhouse. It’s on a Pheasants Forever piece of property and would make a perfect backdrop for a hunting scene painting involving flushing birds and setters. Sad too that it’s about to be taken down if the activity around the property is any indication. I’ve painted around here a lot but not this specific view of it.


“Ribbon Of Light” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I set up to paint a fully lit pasture with cows and a nice fence line weather break of short trees. Very Italian looking. Then the entire landscape went into shadow except for one ribbon of light in the distance. It didn’t last to long, but I decided to go for that effect anyway.


“Thicket” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
This was the reason I’m late. I had come home to feed the cat and then ran out to paint this the last of the day. The light wasn’t as rich as I expected it to be and the wind seemed to have increased it’s velocity. None the less, I liked this one just for it’s sense of the afternoon.

3 comments:

rahina q.h. said...

brilliant work, each is more delightful than the other. i am amazed you did this many in such a brief time and to the standard you have!

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Wonderful work. You inspire me to paint more. Thank you for sharing.

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thank you Rahina. I have to say that it was an intense month! But painting is not a leisure activity to me. It's always been hard, and because of that I attempt to make every painting at least as good as the last paintng (that's a cliche', but I get it) or at least to learn something new.

Joan... Thank you, that makes me glad to know.