Thursday, April 8, 2010

April 2009 Painting Marathon Redux

April 7, 2009

Today wasn’t too bad, I was in Luck. Later in the day I got really lucky too. (Apologies to those who live around here for my bad taste in a heavily overused verbal twist! But I can’t help it...)
Okay, Luck, WI is about 20 miles from Taylors Falls. I went there to paint on the streets because it’s so quiet that I knew that no one would bother me. The “lucky” part was the last painting of the day. I had just finished #3 and was wondering where to go next, looked to the left and there it was. I wasn’t going anywhere. Somewhere in the distance, probably near Luck, just my luck to leave early (I’ll stop now), but there was what I assume was a spring burn happening. Perfect timing, or good luck? Either way I felt lucky to have this for my last painting of the day. Whew! Bad, bad, bad joke.


“Tower Of Luck” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
Luck has two water towers, that I’ve seen anyway. I like this one because of the red lettering. The other one is older, the ‘witches hat’ variety, but this one had a great highlight on it this morning, so I painted it.



“Just A Little Luck” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
The title refers to the little bit of town in view. I loved the hot white of the wall of the St.Croix Valley Hardwoods building. Every building seemed to belong to them in a quite large industrial section of town. That accented by the turquoise blue pipes made the choice easy for me.



“Distant House” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I left Luck and headed back to my area with two paintings still to complete. The paintings in Luck took more time than usual due to the more complex drawing involved. I try to finish these by about 4:30 to 5:30pm just so that I can get this all put together for publishing at a reasonable hour. Still having two paintings to do at 3:45 today was making me nervous about reaching my time goal. This one caught my eye because of the white house way out in the distance, lit up like a light, surrounded by all of the bare growth of the previous season. Lot’s of grey/brown in other words. But the light was good, so I painted this one pretty quick compared to the time I’ve beens spending on these.


“Spring Burn” oil, 5x7 © Marc R. Hanson 2009
I finished the ‘Distant House’ in about 35 minutes and was feeling good about my time frame goal. As I mentioned above, I looked just to my left and saw the smoke of a spring burn, rising high into the atmosphere and said, “Boy... I’m a lucky painter!” Last of the day, and last of the Luck jokes!!! Promise.

1 comment:

Walter L. Mosley said...

You are inspiring me. Keep up your wonderful, wonderful work.