Tuesday, February 11, 2014

February 11, 2014

Today is the birthday of the other best thing that ever happened to me.  My youngest son was born 28 years ago on this day.  

For a change of pace, I grabbed the pastels this morning.  We're not having any precipitation now, and it seemed like it would be good to switch things up today.  What you should never do, and I did, is try a new art material when you don't have time to monkey around with it if it's not working so well for you... for... Me.  It's almost impossible to find my all time favorite paper of choice, Wallis 'Belgian Mist'.  The supplies just aren't getting to the distributers that I've tried.  It's a shame, it's a wonderful paper, but if it's always going to be so tough to but when you need it, then an alternative is going to be imperative.  I've used UArt... it's ok.  But I wanted something with a tone.  My paper today was LaCarte light grey.  Not really a grey, but a warm ocherish colored paper.  I used it many years ago, before I had nice soft, buttery pastels like I do now.  It didn't work out very well at all, using harder pastels in the past.  

I have mixed feelings about it.  Some aspects of how it takes pastel are wonderful.  It holds plenty of pastel pigment, can be wiped down, and is a nice stiff card stock type paper.  I was not happy that I couldn't get the kind if sharp little touches that I can with Wallis, and UArt.  It has a great texture, just about the right coarseness.  I'll keep plugging away with it, it worked in the end, but took me a lot to try to figure out how to work it.  I discovered one thing, I still don't have enough soft, buttery pastels... a trip to the supplier is in order.

Thanks for looking in... Enjoy!

2-11-1 "Nimbus Rd" - pastel - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014
SOLD

2-11-2 "Swirl" - pastel - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014

2-11-3 "Casting Shadows" - pastel - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014
SOLD

2-11-4 "Willows" - pastel - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014
SOLD



3 comments:

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi there Marc... A grand day to pastel... very moody and ambiant results!Bravo... another plein air gem!

Your son and I share the same birth date! Despite the cold -16C wind chill...I celebrated mine similarly... outdoors where I love to be painting.

We share a lot of commonalities in our separate journeys!

Good Painting!
Warmest regards,
Bruce

Emilie Sykes said...

I just love all of these
such beautiful color application

Ray said...

Hey Marc, I haven't been able to find Wallis in a long time now. When you have a chance, try PastelMat. IT is pricey and a totally different surface than you are used to but takes pastel beautifully. Unlike La Carte you can use liquids too.
I'm loving all these paintings! Glad someone goes out in the snow and cold. I am in Florida now trying to escape it all.