Sunday, February 9, 2014

February 9, 2014

Today's date is a special one.  The first, of the two greatest things to happen in my life, happened 30 years ago today... my oldest son was born!  I was thinking about that all day long with the weather here today.  When he was born, it was also VERY cold, but I was not out painting then! :)

All day today the air was full of a fog that was freezing on everything it touched, but was even more pronounced the closer to the edge of the foothills that I was.  It was a day for having to look very hard to see the subtle shifts in color temperature.  The spacial division from value shifts was very slight, mostly just big, fog induced non-descript shapes, against the lightest value of the snow.  Fun to paint, but nothing like yesterday's color world.  But, I love painting this kind of day.

My palette was full, but about all I put a brush in besides white, was ultramarine blue, terra rosa, yellow ochre, some viridian and alizarin, and the greenish umber.

The moisture was chilly however, there were several coffee breaks (toe warming sessions) before it was all over.

Thanks for looking in... Enjoy!

2-9-1 "Freezing Fog #1" - oil - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014

2-9-2 "Freezing Fog #2" - oil - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014

2-9-3 "Freezing Fog #3" - oil - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014

2-9-4 "Freezing Fog #4" - oil - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014
SOLD



2 comments:

Teri said...

Hi Marc - I love Freezing Fog #4. Thank you for going out in the cold and painting. I really should do it too, but I am such a wuss. . .specially in the wind! So I am inside. Our oldest child turned 30 in May "13! (She moved from Boulder to Austin about 2 years ago. Born in Fairbanks, AK!)
I really love all your paintings and glad I discovered your work.
Cheers!

Dave Casey said...

Me too, Teri. I like that one. I don't think it will be sticking around too long. Someone is going to snap it up.