Monday, February 3, 2014

February 3, 2014

This morning was clear and cold!  Sunny, but it caught me by surprise.  I came about as close as I have in a long time, to freezing some toes and fingers.  When I started out, it was about +5ºF.  Fortunately as the day went on, it was a little bit warmer.  Word has it that the next few days are to be snowy and even colder...

I painted some local hills today because I could finally see them.  The first painting is of Rabbit Mountain Open Space, between Lyons and Longmont.  I've been told that it used to be called Rattle Snake Mountain, but it wasn't a good public image so the name was changed.

From there I went to a local 'wide' view spot, at the end of runway 29'er, where there is a large viewing parking lot for those of us who are airplane nuts.  Since there's no obstructions to the approach and landings, it provides a great view all the way west to the foothills.

Keeping in the same frame of thinking, I drove to Lagerman Reservoir, another Open Space area.  This also has a wonderful, unobstructed view all the way to the mountains.  Nice to be out there, so I painted the last two pieces for the day there.  The last one had a little bit of Rabbit Mountain in it again, hence the title.

On the way out I was pleasantly surprised to see 6 bald eagles on the ice.

Tomorrow should be interesting...

2-3-1 "Rabbit Mountain" - oil - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014
SOLD

2-3-2 "Twin Sisters" - oil - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014

2-3-3 "Lagerman View" - oil - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014

2-3-4 "Rabbit Brush" - oil - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014

2 comments:

Michael O'Neill said...

Living in the mountains I seldom get to see the larger view. You've captured the spirit of how they feel in the winter.

Winter plein air in the current polar season is a great challenge to take on. Thanks for sharing your work.

Jane Ward said...

Loving your February painting sessions,the colours even though cold are just beautiful, thank you for sharing.