Saturday, February 8, 2014

February 8, 2014

I'm liking this weather!  I started out the day by painting another 'long view', the Smoke Shack.  I realized that I was concentrating too much on what I love so much about this area, the patterned, textural quilt of the big landscape.  I drive around with my jaw in my lap constantly... this area is such a beautiful layout of rolling hills, dotted with old and new farms, all backdropped by the Front Range.  I am an addict.  

However, as much as I love it, I also like the smaller, more intimate angles on the landscape.  Seems I've been painting a lot of the wide angle views lately.  So after the first one of the day, I was looking around (all of these were painted on one road in a stretch of about a mile) and saw that there were paintings everywhere that I hadn't been looking at.  With the temps as mild as they were, I just planted myself and painted away.  I like when I don't have to do a road trip to find the paintings I want to paint.  

For the painters, one thing that is an issue when doing this all day for days in a row, is the toll the bright light takes on the eyes.  I've recommended against it, then realized that there are times when wearing sun glasses to paint, like in extreme bright situations near water or on snow, might be the way to go.  Using a very neutral colored lens, no pink shades please, I've found that the color and values are pretty accurate.  In the end, it's all relative, so if you need to paint with them on, leave them on all the way through of course, but it's not the worst thing a painter could do.

But... I didn't wear them today.  I hate wearing them to paint... :)

Not sure what tomorrow has in store, but if it's anything close to what today was like, I'm happy already.  

Thanks for looking in... Enjoy.  And thank you All for the comments.  It's been hard to get to them all with a reply, I hope to eventually gather all of them together and write up a blog post answering as many as I can.  

2-8-1 "Smoke Shack" - oil - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014

2-8-2 "Roadside Darks" - oil - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014
SOLD

2-8-3 "Frozen" - oil - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014
SOLD

2-8-4 "Scraggly" - oil - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014
SOLD

3 comments:

c.dingman said...

These are beautiful from the vast landscape to the intimate. It is so inspiring.

Debbie said...

These are all beautiful Marc! You are so inspiring! I have been focusing on grays lately and whenever you get a chance would love to read some of your mixtures for grays. Yours are lovely! Thanks for sharing your journey.Enjoy!

miek said...

These last ones are so lovely. I like them with a bit more "color" on.