Wednesday, February 5, 2014

February 5, 2014

I woke up to -12ºF... with a wind chill of around -25ºF.  That's Minnesota weather!!!  After going around the horn about this with many friends, and numerous PM's to me about how I should be careful about freezing body parts, I decided to paint with acrylics today.  Since acrylics freeze, it meant that I would have to accept a day painting from my van.  Not because of the cold, of course, but because of the medium?  Ok... I admit to giving in to the day.  But that's the last one.  It's way too uncomfortable to spend a day painting inside a vehicle.  It's cramped, it's hard to find a place to park where there's something interesting to paint, that I can get a good view point to paint it from, and it's just not right! ;)

Truthfully, I tried it outside and after about 5 minutes, it got cold fast.  Good news for me is that on Friday it's going to hit 38º and by the following Friday, 48º!  Can't wait.

More coyotes out and about today.  They're so gorgeous this time of year, thick winter coats and the acuteness of an eagle while on patrol for a lunch morsel.  My admiration for these animals is growing daily.

2-5-1 "Cement Plant" - acrylic - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014

2-5-2 "Flood" - acrylic - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014
This painting is of what was a pasture, until last September's flood.  This area that you are looking at was about 5' underwater during it all.  Entire acreage's were eroded and wiped away.  I painted this area a number of times prior to the flood, this was a very peaceful, pastoral field.  Now it looks like a mini Grand Canyon.  

2-5-3 "Muted Compliments" - acrylic - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014

2-5-4 "Sundown" - acrylic - 8x10
©Marc R. Hanson 2014

3 comments:

René PleinAir said...

Awesome Marc,

Altho cold you took home some marvelous gain, ...

David Boyd, Jr said...

you make acrylic look good...

Marc R. Hanson said...

Thanks Guys! I can't wait for it to get warmer so I can go out with the pastels. This time of year is perfect for them!